Peace Out

So far I have tried to remain reasonably apolitical in this blog, primarily because I feel that political blogs are overrated. But today I just can't help myself. It is related to the NSA and the federal government eavesdropping on its own citizens without a warrant. The whole thing leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. For those who don't know, I lean left. I like to think of myself as economically moderate and socially liberal, but labels do little to explain a person and the complexity of views available on all issues, so I prefer to avoid them. Anyways, why does the NSA thing bother me so? I am not paranoid, but the fact that our own government is monitoring its citizens' activities doesn't surprise me... it doesn't make me proud or happy, but it doesn't surprise me. What really gets my goat is the brazen disregard by this administration that they may have gone too far. The administration reacts by turning the tables, shaking the sabre and reminding us that we all have something to fear...jingoism isn't sound foreign policy. I don't want anyone infringing on my civil liberties, and if someone admits to doing it I expect an apology, not an admision accompanied by a statement indicating that no change in the policy is forthcoming. Big Brother politics work because a real big brother is a friend and protector from things evil, a shield, a filter and a bowbreak against the trials of life. There is a dangerous allure to believing this false promise, to believing that this offer of Big Brother's protection is in any way meaningful, or is in any way intended to protect us.

Finally, what ticks me off the most is that the President thinks that what he's done is okay, because the spying is supposedly only done on those who are known to associate with terrorists. Can we be sure that's the case? Based on what standards and processes have these Americans been determined to support or be terrorists? The whole thing smacks of judging someone guilty by association with no apparent accountability for the accusers. If the President claims that a group of Americans are terrorists, shouldn't someone ask for proof? Yes, there are terrorists in the world who have caused us terrible harm at home and abroad, and who wish to cause us more harm. And, yes, in light of such a reality we must be constantly vigilant and nimble to hopefully prevent further terrorist attacks. The thing is, these are tricky and weighty judgment calls, and the Administration has shown itself to regularly screw them up at great cost in the past. I agree that the President certainly is in a better position than I to determine who is a terroist and who is not, but Congress needs to be in the loop. A major role of the Congress is as a check on executive authority. The President may think that advising selected members regarding an un-warranted spying operation is sufficient, but it isn't. The President may think that when Congress voted to give him the authority to go after terrorists it was a free ticket to wield unchecked power, but it wasn't.

The path of deception is a dark one, and those that travel it often can see only light because they are blinded by the false glare of their own righteousness. Good leaders, however, are guided by the light of truth.

No comments: