Haven't seen the sun in two weeks

The sun hasn't been seen in Minneapolis for two weeks. I don't mind the cold, I don't mind the snow, I don't mind ice storms, but I have a hard time dealing with the grey. I look out the window and the horizon is poorly defined, the clouds mix with the fog and the fog with the melting snow and the snow dirty with road ick mixes with the earth... it's really quite depressing. So like a good Minnesnowtian, I hunker down. I play my video games, exercise, watch TV, get together with friends. All of these things help but all it takes is one look out the window to remind me that I live in the middle of a grey crayon. It's what I imagine limbo would be like... a lack of definition a seeping of the will a obfuscation of clarity.

It's times like these that I strain to remember why I live where I do. Eventually, the clouds will break, the sun will shine and then I will remember. Remember the brightness, the vision, the heady radiant light. In it's absence an appreciation grows for what was previously taken for granted. Light, warmth, vitamin D, ultraviolet radiation. Perhaps tomorrow.

No comments: