One of the best days of my life

Yesterday was one of the best days of my life. No, I did not win the lottery. Nor did I solve world hunger. What caused my happiness? What caused this to be a monumental day? I got to dance with my daughter.

True we have danced before. A polka at her first wedding age 2 months (see July 2006 posting), and the very common bouncing, twirling and jumping to songs on the radio. This dance, however, was special.

Sonja is starting to learn to stand-up with little help (just a few little fingers in her hands to keep her steady). She is also beginning to figure her world out and you can see it in her eyes that this is a very exciting thing. To top it all off, she is beginning to babble (more than just the raspberries and occasionally goo goos) she is purposely moving her mouth in a speaking motion and then trying to talk... it is amazing, it's like you can see her thinking and trying so hard to form her first words. So all of these factors played a part in our dance.

We were on mommy and daddy's bed and I was helping her to stand. I held her little hands in mine and then just started dancing...it wasn't the normal jump jump jump fall it was a real dance...THE Twist. She twisted her hips from side to side and kept her eyes staring at mine, and as she did this a huge smile grew across her face. Her eyes widened and she laughed and smiled and twisted. We were both laughing and smiling and during one of our occasional breaks she used her new found baby babbling skills to tell me how much fun she was having and that she loved me (I am pretty sure I got the translation right). I told her I was having lots of fun and that I loved her too. Mommy even got in on the party and we danced and laugh as a family and it felt good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful experience, thanks for sharing it! I'm printing this one to keep in Sonja's folder, Love, GP