Zappa Concert

Jenn and I went to see Zappa plays Zappa on Friday night. I am a fan of Frank Zappa and a friend of my from school asked if I wanted in on the tickets. I accepted.

I never had the opportunity to see Frank Zappa play so seeing his son Dweezel play with a band that included Napoleon Brock Murphy, Terry Bozzio, and Steve Vai (all of whom played with Frank's band at one time or another)was on opportunity I did not want to miss.

The show rocked. It helped me remember that not all rock music is devoid of soul and comprised of 3 chords and/or a blues riff repeated add-naesum. The musicians were just that, musicians. They played with passion and feeling but also with discipline and integrity. You could really feel that the overarching factor in every song was not the screaming guitar solo or the lead vocals, but it was for the song as a whole.

This holistic approach to music was like a breath of fresh air which I sorely needed.

Plus how often do you get to go to a rock-n-roll concert which features a vibraphone as well as a kazoo?

No comments: