Happiness is injustice

One thing I am really looking forward to about being a parent is that one day our kid will be in school. Spring will come around and it will be spring break. Our child will be excited and looking forward to a well earned break, time with friends, sleeping in, doing whatever kids do in the future. What brings a smile to my face is that one year, one of her teachers is bound to do the unthinkable - assign homework over spring break - and once that happens I am looking forward to being totally unsympathetic when my daughter is complaining about having to do homework over break.

It may seem odd but it makes me happy. I am not a mean man, nor am I unsympathetic. It really comes down to experiencing something I experienced as a child but being on the other side... I remember the look on my mom's face when I would complain to her about the book reports or math problems some cruel teacher assigned over break. "Mom, can you believe that they assigned homework over break?!" I would pout, "Yes, it's a real shame." my mom would drone without the slightest hint of sincerity... I also secretly thought she was fighting back a smile or holding back a laugh. The injustices of middle-class childhood - there ought to be a support group : )

No comments: