Nostalogy

So I made up a word for this post... Nostalgic for Technology - Nostalogy. This is what I am. I find that I often think back to technology of old with fleeting whimsy. I miss rotary dial phones, phones with cords, no cell phones. I miss low resolution graphics. I miss getting my computer programming magazine when I was 13 and being all excited about retyping in the hundred's of line of basic code into the school computer so I could create a very basic text game or hear the computer speaker beep out the first few bars of Beethoven's 5th.

I miss computer camp and turning on my Apple IIe all the while making sure the boot up disk was in the drive. I miss having to have a boot up disk in the drive in order to start a computer. I miss 5 1/4" floppy disks heck I miss disks in general, most PCs now don't include one.

I miss the days when computers were seen as a fringe phenomenon of ultra-geeks.

...sigh

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, how sad is it that it took this post to make me notice that our new computer (purchased Aug. 2006) doesnot have a disk drive? Huh.

Anonymous said...

Don't you ever miss the days when you used to be nostalgic?

Dawn said...

I am nostalgic for the good ole days of horrible graphics video games. I actually own a still-functioning Intellivision, and it is priceless. Every once in a while we bring it out to play Pitfall or Burgertime and it is just as much fun now as it was in the 80's.