I have a technology problem

I have a technology problem. Unlike many I don't have a problem with technology, I have a technology problem. The problem is that when I become stressed or overburdened I tend to mitigate this stress through the purchase of some fun techy gadget.

For example, my current Communications Technology class is about a 4 on the ol' stress-o-meter. This equates to my purchasing various X-box games as well as a new 250 GB USB hard drive for my home PC. The birth of my first child, although beautiful and wonderful, was a stressful event in that I had no idea what to expect. This was about a 7 on the stress-o-meter, resulting in the purchase of a new 42" HD television and an X-box 360 game systems.

I like playing with technology, I like figuring it out, evaluating it, seeing if it can help me get more out of life, work, play whatever... What I don't like is this compulsion I feel when I become stressed that somehow spending money will magically make my stress disappear.

Perhaps it's a hangover from the dot com heydays of the late 90's. Technology was going to solve all our problems. I remember one story on the radio about how the internet was going to bring about a society without money. We would all share knowledge and goods and services just to better ourselves as a species... I still cling to part of this dream (probably because it seems that I am personally headed for a reality without money - due to the aforementioned technology problem) - it's a dream I don't want to let die.

Long live the tech revolution!

1 comment:

The D said...

My technology problem is that I'm always at least 5, or more often 10, years behind everybody else. I just got an iPod this year, and that was fast for me. Also, I don't know what a microwave is, and I just got indoor plumbing last week.